Cascara tonic has been one of Soma's most unique and most popular drinks of all time, but we don't want to keep it all to ourselves! Here is a little video on how we brew our Cascara Cordial in the cafe. Step aside cold brew because Cascara tonic is the perfect cold coffee drink for the long and warm summer days.
If you're looking for Cascara, you can get it from our online store, here!
- 40g Cascara
- 1.4l Water
- 100g Sugar
- Juice of 1 Grapefruit
- Tonic Water
- Gin (optional)
How To Make The Cascara Concentrate
The secret to this delicious drink is all in the cascara concentrate, but luckily for you guys, it's incredibly quick and easy to do in just a few simple steps
- Add your Cascara to a medium sized sauce-pan along with your 1.4 litres of water and bring to the boil
- Add the sugar and stir till dissolved
- Add the juice of one whole grapefruit
- Reduce to a medium heat and reduce until you have half the amount of liquid
- Strain and allow to cool to room temperature before decanting into a sealable container
- Refrigerate and use within two weeks (but we all know that it wont las that long)
How To Make Cascara Tonic
Now for the bit we've all been waiting for. How do you turn this into the most delectable and refreshing cold coffee drink known to man? It's quite simple really, just add tonic water. If you really need step by step instructions, you can follow them below.
- Add ice to a glass
- Add 50ml cascara concentrate
- Add 150ml tonic water of choice
- Garnish with a slice of grapefruit
- (optional) If you're feeling frisky, throw in a tot or two of gin.
What more can we say... This truly is one of those beverages that is greater than the sum of its parts.