Everything You Need To Know About Cold Brew Coffee
What Is Cold Brew Coffee
Let's tackle the basics first: what is cold brew coffee. Cold brew coffee is a method of brewing coffee where you extract coffee without the addition of heat. This process not only slows the process down, but it also has a significant impact on the flavour of your coffee. Cold brew is generally served cold and over ice.
When the warm summer months roll around, their really is nothing better than a refreshingly cold coffee. In recent years, cold brew coffee has sky rocketed in popularity and become a staple coffee for many during the warmer months. This surge in popularity could be because of its accessibly low acidity and delicious creamy body, or it could be just because people are keen for something a little different, but whatever the reason, cold brew is here to stay and we are delighted!
How To Make Cold Brew Coffee
Making cold brew coffee is an incredibly simple process that requires minimal equipment and a little more patience than usual. Here is our cold brew recipe; it's an adjusted version of the cold brew concentrate recipe we use throughout the summer months in our cafes. This is a recipe for a cold brew concentrate, Brew up a batch and enjoy your delectable, home made cold brew coffee. Slainte!
What you Need
- 115g Fresh Coffee - coarse grind
- French Press
- Patience and time
Cold Brew Recipe / Method
- Place your French Press on the scale and tare.
- Get your French press here
- Add 115g of coarse ground, freshly roasted coffee and tare the scale.
- Grinding fresh is best, if you need a coffee grinder, you can get one here.
- Add 230g of hot water, just off the boil (~95ºC) and stir until all the coffee grounds are fully saturated.
- Add a further 670g of cold water to the french press to make a total of 800g.
- Place the lid on but DO NOT PLUNGE and place in the fridge overnight (12-24 hours)
- After the 12-24 hours, remove from the fridge, plunge and decant.
- Store sealed in the fridge for up to 5 days
Cold Brew Serving Suggestions
Classic Cold Brew: For a classic cold brew, just dilute your cold brew concentrate with a 1:1 ratio. That is equal parts cold brew and water. This will give you the classic, rich, creamy and delicious cold brew that we all know and love.
Cold Brew Flat White: If you would like something a little more rich and decadent, why not try a cold brew flat white. Mix equal parts cold brew and a milk of your choice (we love it with oat milk at SOMA HQ) and serve over ice.
Cold Brew Tonic: If you are feeling adventurous and looking for something delicious and different, why not try a cold brew tonic. Mix equal parts cold brew and tonic water, serve over ice and garnish with a twist of lemon. Cold brew tonic is one of our absolute favourites at SOMA HQ, and we're sure you will love it too!